Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Trying to Understand the Test

For those of you who have stood by us during the last few months, I wish to thank you. As I have watched Kim struggle both physically and mentally I have gained an all new appreciation for motherhood and the role that I will soon play as a parent. How grateful I am for a Heavenly Father who knows our little family and has sent His comforting spirit when we have needed it the most. For many weeks now we have both struggled as we have asked the questions we all do during times of trial, why us?, why this?, why now?. I believe for me my answer came late last night as I was laying in bed trying to sleep (a sunburn on my back and shoulders has made sleeping nearly impossible this week) As I pondered the words promised in Kim's patriarchal blessing to her future family I found my solace as we were promised to have the experiences we are having. I found my greatest comfort when the realization came to me that there is more, there is more to the blessing, there is more than just trials and struggles. The promises made to our family our great, and as we all have come to know, trials are mandatory but misery is optional. On to the next. . .

5 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

Welcome to the blogging world! Loving your blog already!!

Mardie said...

Trials are essential... But if you make the most of them and keep in mind it is a learning experience, you both with be truly blessed. Parenthood is both a huge challenge and major blessing! I had a conversation with my sister yesterday about how kids are so honest and we can learn so much from our children if we just listen to them. I am excited for you guys to enjoy the blessings that children bring.

P.S. Let me know if there is anything we can do to ease the trial - even just a little. :)

Kayla said...

We are still really excited for you both, though this time has been so full of hardships. Sorry that you guys have to go through this, but I PROMISE it will all be worth it in the end!

We love ya!
~Glad you started a blog too!~

Megan B ♥ said...

Ok, so I just read your profile? That meet and greet sounds terrifying and horrible. WOW!! But.... I guess it worked :)

Matt and Erin said...

Matt, what great insight you have. Kim did a good job picking you out. ;) I came across a quote by C.S. Lewis a while back. (You're probably heard it, but I'll share it anyway.)It helps me keep a better perspective during tough times.

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of–throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself." (C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, New York: MacMillan Co., 1960, p. 160)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed