Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Two Month Rollercoaster

If someone would have sat me down two months ago and explained to me the things that would transpire in my life over the course of the last two months I would have called them a liar. It all began with the biggest blessing anyone could have asked for, Karlee was born and there could be nothing more precious or beautiful in our lives.
The fallout however began that night in the hospital, after two nights of little sleep I found myself with some returning effects of mono that I had but a few years ago, awkward kidney pains (so I thought), night fevers, and a cold. This lasted a few weeks then right as I thought I was pulling out of it, the unthinkable took place in the brother's family, most of you know the story but I can't imagine a deeper low in the roller coaster of life. Although I believe we have all begun to take a step forward on that front, my personally health has been in question of late.

All my life I would iterate to others the truth that if I could but become half the man that my father is, then I would be happy. . . . The forgotten part to that phrase would have added, that I would prefer to have the mental and spiritual half and spare myself the physical ailments that have tortured him through the years. Since returning from my mission, I have noticed that besides a weaksauce immune system I seem to have a maintained stomach ache that until recently was not profound enough pain to worry about. However over the course of the last month or so I have found myself curled up in a ball in pain on the floor or trying to figure out why I often feel like I am being stabbed in the abdomen. Some of these pains are completely random, while others have been constant over the past month.

So Monday I decided that I better put my stubborn self in a doctor's chair. Monday I had various tests done and X-rays taken in hopes that they could shed some light on the situation. At the end of those tests, they could tell me that for the most part I am normal in every way, no infection, no weird blood count or inflammatory problems, just more questions. So Tuesday I met with an internal medicine specialist under the pretense that I may have more serious problems. After another round of tests yesterday and this morning there is still only nonexistent answers to my many questions. I have pending tests to determine if I have Cilia cs Disease, which if positive would require a major lifestyle change. What has been determined is that I most likely suffer from Acid Reflux Disease along with Signoid Pain and Hepatic Flexure Syndromes (which are both subsymptoms of IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome).

This morning one of my ex-mission presidents (a Gastroentrologist) called and has started me on some acid reducing medication to go along with the side noted antibiotics and steroids to cure my current sinus infection. More to come on both fronts, but I will not know test results till next Tuesday, so till then I plan to eat and act as normally as I know how.

Despite all of that, this season brings with a special time of gratitude for the countless blessings we all enjoy. Despite the pain and unknowns in my life, I am so very grateful for a wonderful family on both sides, great friends, and the foundation of truth that gives me hope for the future no matter the bumps in the road of this life. For whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, and I believe we often learn so much more in the trial then when the we finally see the end result. Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!! Let it be a time to reflect how blessed we all truly are.

1 comment:

Lynn Gurney said...

Best of wishes to you Matt and your family. You're very positive, thanks for sharing and being a good example.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed