As each of us went about our day today, no doubt our minds were taken back to the tragic events that surrounded us in 2001. However, unlike most people September 11th is looked upon differently from my standpoint. September 11 was the day that tentatively I got into my roommates car and drove down to the Ward Opening Social. Given all the hype is rarely worth the actual event when you consider how these things usually go down. After reading the activities committee ploy to bait us to the event filled with comments like "First Come First Flirt" and "Come meet your eternal companion!" anyone who knows me well knows what must of been recycling through my mind.
Upon arrival I was so pleased to see something other than funeral potatoes and crappy brownies with too much frosting (you all know that is the usual case). I made small talk for awhile with a few associates at best then awaited the time to return home. Then something of infinite importance happened. . . . after the message we (the men) were asked to pick one young lady to spend the next hour or so playing games with. As I scanned the possibilities there was only one girl that caught my eye, so determined and willing to make the best of the evening I quickly scampered over to where she was and promptly let her know that she was going to be my partner (trust me there was no asking, but again anyone who knows me knows that there is no beating around the bush..... about anything with me).
As the story goes we had a little bit of fun then went on our way. However, something amazing happened to me on Sept. 11th that I will never forget. For the first time in my life I followed my heart instead of my head when it came to girls.... and sadly for Kim she will have to deal with the consequences forever. When all is considered all I want to say is Thank You to Kim, thank you for seeing something in me and trusting me with your heart. As many more Sept. 11th days of remembrance come and go for us all, I look forward to the chance to reflect on "the day that changed our lives" with such a deeper meaning for me.
3 comments:
That's a great story -- and hey, nothing wrong with funeral potatoes :) I remember a blessing of one of your nephews where you happened to looooooove funeral potatoes! ONLY 35 more days until you get another "day that changed our lives"!!
Aaahhh. . where's the tissues? :)
Your blog is sparkling. It has a great appeal. How are U able to cope such a lot and too good for words. Meet me at
http://veg-art.blogspot.com/
Waiting with curiosity. To know your innovation
Post a Comment