Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Parable of the Cracked Windshield

Ok stick with me here. I know that posts without pictures= no readers, but for those of you want a parallel real life experience to use in your next Sunday School lesson. . . well let me share with you something I have been thinking about lately.

This summer we(I) got a few chips in my windshield, and ignorantly I believed that nothing would come of the tiny chips. However summer became winter and I had a need to use my defroster. Last week as I drove the commute to school I watched as one of these chips became a foot long crack through my windshield. The next day realizing that it was only going to get worse I watched as the windshield expanded ever further, finally completing its full trip across the windshield yesterday as I drove home. So for some reason I tend to think about things on a much deeper level then sometimes I even want. Something little (as those who know me best) are never something little.

So the parallels, I believe there are many but here are a few thoughts:
1) So often we let the little chips in our lives became an uncontrollable disease that spreads and eventually takes over our lives. For example, consider the addict (not just to alcohol or illicit drugs, but also sports, entertainment, ourselves,etc.) it all starts with something little then expands, and as it expands it becomes harder and harder to change and return to the initial position. I have seen people get so consumed with themselves that they become addicted to words like me, myself, and I that the focus of their lives becomes a transactional question of what can I get in return for performing any action. When life/service/compassion becomes a trading of goods we not only loose our footing but if we aren't careful, our souls.

2) Now imagine that the chip in the windshield is something that was done to you. (Maybe an offensive comment or discouraging action towards you) If we are not careful (notice a theme) that little thing can grow and expand until it eventually takes over our every thought and our focus shifts from that which is virtuous and optimistic to that which is dark and filled with anger/grief/sorrow. As we let the little offenses and feelings consume us, we add nothing to ourselves or to society. Rather we become someone who others try to avoid as they know that our bad attitude does not serve them on their quest of life.

Nothing more, just hope I got the wheels turning. Let us all enjoy this time of year, and concentrate on that which is truly important.

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

I'm hopelessly addicted to Crew...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed