In the Law the counsel representing each party (and often the parties themselves) in a dispute are each--through whatever means necessary--attempting to be the one and only to obtain the ultimate prize (multi-million dollar verdict). The process turns more into a battle between two children fighting over a stuffed animal where only one can have or hold the prize and the other ought to be left with nothing. So defines the adversarial model. Once obtained, the victor is less concerned about justice and more concerned with the symbol of success. Something must be broken.
Here is the problem . . . most legal disputes are more like the deer who never stops running (a moving target) so the hunter is unable to take the "kill shot" and instead the parties chase the ultimate prize, often for years, never reaching a satisfactory resolution. What is the ultimate result? Who cares that isn't what matters (have you learned nothing?). . . what matters is obtaining the ultimate prize so why worry about the costs in the form of finances or time that are wasted in chasing the moving target. Because of this model, I will one day be employed and paid money (let's hope enough to pay back Uncle Sam what I will owe him) to develop strategy to obtain the ultimate prize (or at least more than the other guy).
In the words of Paul Harvey . . . "and now for the rest of the story."
I do not wish to sound disillusioned or turned off by the standard model from which attorneys work. As in fact I respect the system for what value it CAN have and look forward to the practice of law (though be it more likely transactional in nature). I Just wanted to point out that the next time Uncle John is boasting about his latest hunting trip success to think about the primeval motivations that serve as the foundation for how we as a people define "success". Then ask yourself this question . . . Are we right? Should success be based on the underlying objective of the law, business, and athletics. . . WINNING or should it be based on something else?
2 comments:
Hummm what a thought provoking insight. I wish more would try to arrive at the "just" verdict instead of who is right and who is wrong. (of course each feel that their cause is the only right solution.) I have decided that King Soloman was a very wise and just judge.
Dad and I was on the "hunt" yesterday. Task at hand - find all of your lighting and bathroom fixtures and accessories to the tune of limited buget and do it in less than five hours including traveling time. The hunt lost it's glamore in about a hour and a half - so down to brass tacks. ----success by nightfall. Have I told you how much I love your Dad lately - he can steady the ship and make the task at hand possible.
Interesting thought.
Post a Comment